My little patch of Rudbekia has been flowering for weeks now, giving sunshine even on the wettest days. In fact quite a lot of yellow has crept into my garden this year, including the Argyranthemum that I've been using to practice colour mixing, for my sketch-book.
It's a plant I know as Jamaica Primrose and from new flower to faded bloom its petals pass through almost every shade of pale yellow and cream. Quite a challenge to find the exact tone. For me, acrylics are easier than watercolours.
I've decided that, in my newly acquired sketch book, 'drawings' should not be limited to pencil and paint. (If I did that I'd never fill the beastly thing.) So I've been adding some 'fabric sketches' to the pages. Continuing the theme of leaves and using odd scraps of organza, I've been playing with a different style of colour mixing.
It's surprising how much the colours change when the fabrics are layered over each other. I'm having fun with this and have not yet exhausted all the possibilities, so I'll probably be making a few more before I move on.
The 'paint and stitch on paper' that I mentioned last week is coming along quite well, but not yet ready to post. I chose a lichen encrusted branch on my old quince tree as a suitable subject.