We started with printing inks, rollers and self-made stencils, layering up interesting backgrounds on tissue paper. The acid-free, conservation grade stuff is surprisingly strong.
|A favourite colour palette.|
|There is actually more green in this than the picture shows.|
Next we had a go at making printing blocks, my lino cutting has not improved since school days but I had more success with the 'cut shapes out of stuff and stick them on cardboard' type of block. In fact I made quite a few of those for future work. We used the blocks for adding yet more layers of print to our tissue backgrounds.
With the left over ink in our roller trays we were shown how to do monoprints. This was entirely new to me and I got slightly hooked on the technique. It really is quite addictive.
|Just a few lines scratched in a tray.|
|A few drops of water added when the ink is gone.|
When I had quite a few prints I started cutting them up and reassembling them on card.
I could have played happily for hours, but time was short and we were supposed to be learning collage so I reluctantly swapped the paint for scalpel and glue.
|A few small samples.|
I came away with some work in progress for a bigger piece incorporating fabric and stitch. which I will work on now that I've finally caught up with organising all my loose bits and pieces into a sketch book.
|Very early stages of a background.|