Wednesday 10 July 2013

Silk Rods and Pearls



Just occasionally tidying up can be worthwhile.  I've been sorting through my stash and found a huge bag of undyed silk rods that I'd forgotten I had.  Enough to make something quite large. So I painted up some bondaweb, cut out some heavy duty vilene and set about splitting the rods into their layers.  There are various schools of thought about the best way to do this.  Some people say soak the rods first, others advocate ironing them lightly.  I find that with a little patience they split quite well if you just bend them back and forth for a while.
When I had sufficient split rods I made bondaweb sandwiches with them and the vilene.  Joined the four sides and the base with quilting thread for strength and trimmed the vessel with some strands from a broken pearl necklace.

2 comments:

  1. That's lovely. I have a whole bag of them too that I bought last year and have no idea what to do with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not easy to find a use for, but sometimes they are just what you need! Welcome to the blog and thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete